Friday, July 8, 2016

Hate and Blame Are Not the Answer

Yesterday I wrote a personal post about my family. This post was shared many many times.  My heart was overwhelmed with thankfulness. Not because I had written it and certainly not because I felt like it was super inspiring and well written. I wrote it because I wanted people to see the heart of a real life experience. I wanted people to see that we need change. I wanted people to begin to understand what is happening in our country. I wanted people to begin to acknowledge that hate exists among us.

Then, last night about 8:00, my husband and I both started getting text messages. "Have you seen the news? Did you see what's happening in Dallas?" No, no I haven't. We are grocery shopping before my husband leaves on a missions trip tomorrow. "It's awful. Officers have been shot. There are snipers shooting at them. There was a peaceful protest and it was ending and then snipers just started shooting. It's awful sounding."

My heart sank to the souls of my feet. My husbands face looked numb. It was almost like we couldn't speak. We hurried home to get the boys in bed so we could turn on the news. It was total chaos. The sounds of gunshots roaring through the air. Why God Why? This is not the change I had in mind.

Your heart should be breaking in to a million pieces right now. If it's not, you're part of the problem. If your heart is not breaking for Alton Sterling and Phinlandro Castile, you're part of the problem. If your heart is not breaking for those police officers last night in Dallas, especially the ones who were killed, you are part of the problem. HATE AND BLAME ARE NOT THE ANSWERS.

We cannot hate every officer for the actions of the officer that took place in Louisiana. Why? Because we end up losing our good guys. The officers last night had nothing to do with what happened in another state yet they are the ones who have suffered. They courageously and bravely stood up to protect those around them because that is their job. We have to stop grouping every officer in the BAD COP category.

We cannot blame every black person for the actions of the snipers that attacked the officers in Dallas last night. They do not represent the entire black community. Stop blaming black people for the actions of a few. Not all black people are thugs.

Friends, I don't have an immediate solution like so many of you asked of me yesterday. This has been a problem far longer than just this past week. At times it makes me question, is there a solution? If there has not been a solution before now, is there one? My thoughts lead to this, educate, be educated and don't dismiss. Don't dismiss what is happening around you. you will never understand what you don't acknowledge. Take off your blinders and don't dismiss the hate and the blame. Educate your children. Teach them from the time they are able to talk to love everyone. Teach them kindness and compassion no matter what. Allow yourself to be educated. If you don't understand, find someone who can help you. Don't be afraid to ask questions but when you ask them be willing to listen.

If you are not a believer in Jesus Christ then I imagine this won't mean much to you but since I do this is what I believe. The devil comes to steal, kill and destroy. And he is doing just that. He is taking the lives of our people right in front of our eyes. He is turning us against each other any way he can.

We have got to stop seeing our neighbors as our enemy because of the color of their skin, because of their profession. I believe we are very close to seeing the return of our Lord and I want to be ready. Do you realize that there will be cops and black people (people of all color for that matter) in heaven? God does not pick and choose who he thinks deserves to enter in. None of us deserve it. There is no good deed that we can do that will give us a quick pass in to the kingdom. But by the grace of God and the salvation that we receive through him, ALL people who have confessed their sins and accept Jesus into their heart shall be saved and can enter in!  God is looking at the hearts of His people. Not the color of their skin. Not the job that they do every day.

Prayer changes things. We may not see it today, tomorrow, or a year from now. But prayer changes things. It's time we stand for what is right. Pray for those who do wrong. Weep with those that are weeping. And most of all, we need to LOVE our neighbors as Christ has loved us. God loves every single person that walks this Earth. He loves you. He loves you more than you will ever know.

1 comment:

  1. I have no other words for this post except AMEN!!! In ephesians is says it all this it is spiritual warfare satan knows his time is short and he is doi g everything he can to destroy people!

    Ephesians 6:12
    For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.

    ReplyDelete